LISTEN TO THE MUSIC
CALTONE'S Jamaican 45's 1966 - 1969
‘Listen to the music’ is the second Pressure Sounds album of Caltone productions. Following on from the successful Pressure Sounds album ‘Safe Travel’ PSCD/LP47.
Its a 21 track set of tunes that cover the years from 1966 to 1969. From the late period ska years through to early reggae. For the most part the album is full of rare rocksteady gems.
Ken Lack who founded the Caltone label was a businessman with a passion for music. His connections with Jamaica’s top session players resulted in a series of 45s that were both tasteful and well produced.
Included in this 21 track album are tracks by Tommy McCook and the Supersonics. ‘Smooth Sailing’ and ‘Killer Joe’ are both superb horn driven instrumentals. There are three tracks by The Clarendonians led by the vocal talents of Peter Austin. ‘I’m Sorry’ and ‘Lonely Heartaches’ are top draw rocksteady songs. Rare 45s that have never been re-issued since the original Jamaican pressings.
It was Bunny Lee and Phil Pratt who handled most of the hands-on production for Ken Lack although there was undoubtedly much input from Lynn Tait, Tommy McCook and Johnny Moore.
The music recorded at WIRL, Federal and Treasure Isle studios is filled with the kind of creativity and attention to detail that has made Caltone records so collectable to this day. Ken Lack died in 2001 in Miami, Florida of a heart condition. He left behind a unique set of recordings and should be remembered for bringing a more collaborative and cooperative spirit to Jamaican music.
There is an extra special booklet with many original graphics and photographs.
The mastering is all produced to a high standard and we are very pleased to add this fantastic album to our catalogue.
Double vinyl lp single cd
01. Peter Austin &The Clarendonians with The Ernie Ranglin All Stars - I'm Sorry
02. Lloyd & the Groovers With Tommy McCook and the Supersonics - Listen To The Music
03. Tommy McCook & The Supersonics- Killer Joe
04. Devon and The Tartans - Making Love
05. Alva Lewis with Lynn Taitt and his Band - Return Home
06. Chuck Jaques & with Lynn Taitt and the Comets - Dial 609
07. The Uniques with Tommy McCook & The Supersonics - The Journey
08. The Kingstonians - Why Wipe The Smile From Your Face
09. The Clarendonians - I'll Never Try
10. Tommy McCook & The Supersonics - Smooth Sailing
11. The Kingstonians - Love Is The Greatest Science
12. The Clarendonians with The Aubrey Adams All Stars - Lonely Heartaches
13. The Cool Cats - Hold Your Love
14. The Uniques With The Caltone Studio Orchestra - Do Me Good
15. The Diplomats With Tommy McCook & The Supersonics - Going Along
16. Lloyd and the Groovers with Lynn Taitt & his Band- My Heart And Soul
17. Chuck Jaques & The Supersonics - Now That You've Gone
18. Eric 'Monty' Morris - Hear Them Say
19. Honey Boy Martin & The Voices with Tommy McCook and the Supersonics - Dreader Than Dread
20. King Rocky & The Willows with the Super Sonics - You Are The One
21. The Emotions with The Lynn Taitt Band - Gypsy